Clinical study of the routine treatment of cancer coordinated by qigong

Author: Wang Shouhang//Wang Benrong//Shao Mengyang//Li Zhenqing
Henan Tumor Hospital-Institute, Zhangzhou 450003, China [1]
Conference/Journal: 2nd World Conf Acad Exch Med Qigong
Date published: 1993
Other: Pages: 129 , Word Count: 463

China Ever since 1985, we have advised our cancer patients to persist in long-term qigong exercises with encouraging results, side by side with giving them routine treatments such as chemotherapy, radiotherapy and surgery. 62 cases of cytologically and pathologically confirmed intermediate and advanced cancer patients who had missed the opportunities of surgery and radiotherapy were at random divided into 2 groups. The treating group composed of 32 patients who were under chemotherapy but were coordinated by qigong (Group I), and the control group comprising the remaining 30 patients who didn't do qigong exercises but underwent chemotherapy only (Group I).

Results showed that Group I had no deterioration in the grading of patients' health. Rather, part of the 32 patients had better health than previously, with most of them having a stable WBC [white blood count] or an unapparent and slight WBC decline; a few patients in this group had a poor appetite, nausea, vomiting, etc., and mild reactions happening in the alimentary tract. Of these 32 patients, 29 (92%)were effective cases that didn't have their chemotherapy suspended, while failure was found in the remaining 3 cases (8%).

In contrast, in Group II, deterioration in patients' health grading was invariably seen. Of the 30 cases in this group, 18 cases (61%) persisted in chemotherapy without interruption. The remaining 12 cases had grown much worse in their health grading, or WBC decline with the total count less than 4xlO µ/L, or reactions seen in the digestive tract so severe as to cause chemotherapy to be stopped. Statistically, the difference seen between the 2 groups was significant (p<O.05).

Besides, this concerted qigong-chemotherapy in the management of cancer has the advantage of raising the curative rate, extending the tumour-free survival of the patients, and bettering the quality of their survival.

So far there have been many confirmed substantial instances showing these good effects. For example, an advanced case of nearly totally obstructive esophagus was admitted on June 26,1985. On admission, he complained of dysphasia for a 3-month duration associated with belching, mucus-spitting and pain in the front chest and in the back. An apparent stricture was found at the middle-third of the esophagus through barium meal fluroscopy and roentgenography, with the top esophagus at the site of stricture expanded into a 'cupping'shape. Left anterior oblique view revealed an apparent shadow of the soft tissues (X-ray film No. 5238). His endoscopic biopsy reported squamous cells (pathonumber 85-431). His symptoms and foci totally disappeared through the concerted method of the qigong and chemotherapy. He has been able to have general diet and no cancer cells have been found through endoscopic biopsy. For 8 years he has been living, tumour-free and has been to this hospital each year for reexamination with no abnormality found so far.

As to the curative effect of the routine therapies in conjunction with qigong on cancer, systematic studies are being made.