Author: Yu Min//Huo Jiming//Wang Yuain//Zhang Guifang//Chi Zhenfu
Pharmaceutical Dept Jiamusi Medical College, China 
Conference/Journal: 2nd World Conf Acad Exch Med Qigong
Date published: 1993
Other: Pages: 81 , Word Count: 357
A section of intestine in vitro, the change of gallbladder under the ultrasound B, and the intestinal microflora were analyzed in this paper. Qigong effect on the mechanical digestion, chemical digestion and intestinal microecology was studied respectively.
1. The action of qigong on a length of intestine in vitro: Qigong masters emitted qi to the intestine under constant temperature for 10 min. Oxygen was given. The contractive range obviously increased, 15 min later qigong masters finished qi emission, its contractive range continued going up, but its contractive frequency did not change.
2. The gallbladder's changing before and after meditation under ultrasound B: The horizontal diameter and wall thickness of the gallbladders before, in, and after meditation in 12 people who were doing qigong exercise were examined with a Shimadzu SDV ultrasound instrument. The results showed that the horizontal diameter of the gallbladders increased and the wall thickness decreased 5 min after meditation. It reveals that the secretion of the bile grows in quantity.
3. Qigong effect on the intestinal microflora: When feces of 7 exercisers over a long period were assayed. the number of pathogenic bacteria such as intestinal bacilli, cocci, etc., were fewer than that of the control group, while the number of the beneficial anaerobes, for instance, lactobacilli, bifidobacteria, and so on, was higher compared with the qigong group. The test in vitro had also proved that the emitted qi had bactericidal action on pathogenic bacteria. Huichunsheng-bifidobacteria could bring about a great advance in the contraction of a section of intestine in vitro.
4. Comprehensive analysis: Qigong promotes the mechanical digestion, chemical digestion, and equilibrium. There are three possible reasons:
(l) In view of physiology, via the integration of the vegetative nervous system, qigong sharpens the parasympathetic excitability to strengthen the intestinal peristasis and increase the secretion of bile and so on.
(2) Since the digestive tract with two openings at both ends is the typical ecological system coming into bloom from the standpoint of systematics, qigong can promote the systematic process of the human giant system, including the digestive tract.
(3) According to microecological view, qigong can advance the growth of dominant microflora in the digestive tract and inhibit the growth of the pathogenic bacteria.