Author: Wang Zhengchang//Huang Jain//Wu Zijuan
Shanghai Qigong Institute, Shanghai, China 
Conference/Journal: 1st World Conf Acad Exch Med Qigong
Date published: 1988
Other: Pages: 58 , Word Count: 550
Recently it has been reported that the emitted qi by qigong masters may have material foundation and the internal qi cultivation can promote health. In this paper, the relationship between qigong and energy metabolism was studied. The ATP content was measured with 20 ul blood drawn from the ring finger of the qigong masters before and after the qigong exercise, and at rest by the method of bioluminescence assay. The instrument (FG--30 Type Luminescence Meter) and the chief reagent (luciferase--luciferin) were produced by Shanghai Plant Physiology Institute.
The experiments were conducted in three groups.
1. The experimental group The blood was drawn from a qigong master's ring finger after he had taken a short rest before he exercised qigong and entered the qigong state. If he could emit qi, he would do it for 5-10 minutes. If he exercised internal qi cultivation, he would do it for half an hour. After the qigong exercise the blood was drawn again. After rest for half an hour the blood was drawn once more.
2. The control group The above procedure was repeated on the second day but the qigong masters did not exercise qigong.
3. The healthy group Healthy persons did as the qigong master did in the same time.
The results are as follow:
In 10 healthy persons the blood ATP contents were constant during the experiment. In 9 qigong masters in the control group the blood ATP contents did not change markedly. The blood ATP contents in 11 qigong masters after emitting their qi decreased markedly (the mean decrease by 1.31 X 104 M) compared with that of the healthy group (P<0.01). The blood ATP contents in 16 qigong masters after cultivating the internal qi increased markedly (the mean increase by 0.54 X 1O4 M) compared with that of the healthy and the control group (P <0.05). The blood ATP contents in both groups of qigong masters were recovered after rest. 5 Qigong masters were observed continually. First, they exercised qigong, cultivating the internal qi, then they emitted their qi. The blood ATP contents changed as above.
1. Qigong Master Lin, Male, having exercised 'Shaolin Neigong' for more than 30 years, is able to treat or anesthetize patients with his emitted qi. Gu Hansen who worked in the Atomic Nucleus Institute of the Chinese Academy of Science confirmed that the emitted qi by Lin is 'infrared wave with slow modulation.' The blood ATP content was 7.5 X 104 M, 5.9 X 104 M and 7.3 X 104 M respectively before and after the qigong exercise and after rest.
2. Qigong Master Chai, Male, 49 years old, having exercised 'Three Way Relaxation Qigong' for more than 20 years. His blood ATP content was 5.9 X 104 M, 5.6X104 M and 7.1 X 104 M respectively before and after the qigong exercise and after rest.
The results were discussed. The emitted qi may have the material foundation because the blood ATP contents decreased after the qi emitted. It promotes anabolism and increases cAMP level during the internal qi cultivation so that health may be improved.
Lastly, three main factors which affected these results were discussed.
1. The changes of the blood ATP content after the qigong exercise and after rest varied with the pattern of exercise and his on condition.
2. The duration of qigong practice influenced the changes of the blood ATP content.
3. The qigong masters could hardly entered the completely normal state in the experiment.