Author: Yang Dianxiang//Liu Zhiyao//Cheng Yao////
Inner Mongolian Medical College
Conference/Journal: 3rd World Conf Acad Exch Med Qigong
Date published: 1996
Other: Pages: 111 , Special Notes: Some tables are only in Chinese abstracts. , Word Count: 342
For those skillful qigong masters and long period practicing breath-regulation people, their respiratory frequency can be regulated within 2-4 times per minute, and lasted for several hours without any anoxic symptom appeared. This fact is much different from the ordinary people. The normal frequency of respiration is above 12 times per minute. Otherwise, the decrease of frequency or amount of breath will induce body anoxia. So in order to explain this special phenomenon, we synchronizingly measured four indexes in qigong state. The four indexes were breathing, rate of heart, blood pressure and oxygen saturation of blood. Moreover, 31 indexes including the function of heart, vascular effect , blood rheology, and microcirculation etc. were also measured. And we also tested the condition of microcirculation of the nail fold.
1. Results obtained by a Respiration-Circulation Function Meter
Basic value in the ordinary state:
respiratory rate; 13 times per min
heart rate: 14 times
blood pressure: 141/81 mm Hg
oxygen saturation of blood: 97%
20 min continuous synchronizing records:
respiratory rate: lowest: 2.5 times per min, highest: 4 times per min, average: 3.6 times/min. heart rate: lowest: 84 times/min, highest: 94 times/min. average: 87.4 times/min
oxygen saturation of blood: lowest: 93% highest: 98% average: 95.15%
blood pressure: systolic pressure: highest: 167 mm Hg, lowest: 131 mm Hg, average: 152.3 mm Hg
diastolic pressure: lowest: 82 mm Hg, highest: 107 mm Hg average: 91.8 mm Hg
2. 31 indexes obtained by Blood Circulation Function Meter. Basic respiratory rate in the ordinary state: 16 times/min. Heart rate: 62 times/min.
30 min respiratory rate: lowest: 1.5 times/min highest: 2 times/min average: 1.74 times/min heart rate: lowest: 60 times/min highest: 80 times/min average: 71.5 times/min
3. No abnormal changes appeared in the microcirculation of the nail fold.
Discussion: The above results suggest:
1. People have a very big potential in regulating self respiration in the qigong state.
2. In the qigong state: The body's oxygen demand decreases or the oxytolerance increases.
3. The regulation of physiology of respiration should be renewed, the reserve of respiratory tract and the functional regulation of the respiratory organ should be paid intensive attention to.
4. The existence of oxygen uptake by skin and its oxygen transportation should also be concerned