Author: Wang Junmei
Affiliation: Teaching Hospital of Nanjing College of Traditional Chinese Medicine, Nanjing, China 
Conference/Journal: 1st World Conf Acad Exch Med Qigong
Date published: 1988
Other: Pages: 121 , Word Count: 774
Qigong, the precious heritage of traditional Chinese medicine, is a branch of science enabling people to strengthen the body constitution, eliminate diseases and extend life expectancy. Through the human conscious initiatives, it induces the body to perform self regulation and stabilization so as to let the internal body acquire a relative tranquility, attain the cure of diseases and extend life expectancy. This article presents a study on the unique effect of qigong in helping patients survive some difficult diseases, especially a study over the anti-tumor mechanism of qigong on the basis of a selection of 104 cases of different cancer patients, e.g. esophagus cancer, stomach cancer, rectum cancer, lung cancer, adenocarcinoma of breast, etc. The duration of qigong practice in those patients ranged from 6 months to 2 years. Most of them kept on doing such exercises after their operations. Concerning cancer etiology, it is widely held that the antigen structure of the tumor cells is the place where carcinogen works. On the other hand, human immunity against tumor is mainly performed by the cell immune function in the body. Patients were therefore divided into two groups to observe the changing status before and after the qigong therapy.
1. 46 cases of different cancer patients were selected for studying the content variations of specific types of protein in the body before and after the qigong therapy. The indexes observed include
4 AAG; 2 AAT; and 3 CER.
2. 58 cases of different cancer patients were selected for studying the cell immune function in the body before and after the qigong therapy. LAI and ANAE which indicate the specificimmune reactions were observed.
[in the following tables, ± represents +/-]
Table 1 Treatment Statistic
Normal Pre- Post- Index
AAG 40.7mg%±10.57 48.94mg%±8.47 36.64mg%±l5.42 P<001
AAT 187.6mg%±15.9 204.4mg%±61.44 179.32mg%±47.71 P<001
CER 21.62mg%±2.98 29.26mg%±7.68 34.4mg%±12.44 P>005
LAI 42.0%±9.76 75.27%±12.26 62.4%±9.53 P<001
ANAE 68.8%±10.28 39.44%±2.877 47.13%±4.37 P<005
The above indicates that the specific protein content in Group 1 all presented different changes after the qigong therapy, among which the changes over AAT, AAG before and after the treatment were more apparent. And the result of the changes of the immune functions of cells in Group 2 indicates that the qigong therapy not only reinforced the T-cell function, but also performed a two-way immune regulation according to the different steps of immune disorder.
1. Both the etiology and inducing mechanism of tumor are still under study at the present time. However, it is certain that the antigen related to tumors is composed of cells and the product of cell metabolism, the affected cell membrane contains some antigens that do not possess strictly formulated particular embryos. During the embryonic period, the genes in the chromosomes of cells are very active, producing many types of antigens. After birth, the control genes are inhibited and have no more production. Once there is a cancerous change in the cell, however, they become active again. They will drop off from the cell membrane, as a kind of dissolvable antigen, to be dissolved into the serum, being of sugar protein and mucoglobulin in nature. AAT, AAG and CER, all of which are kinds of sugar protein and mucoglobulin, are the acute reactants in the serum. They will obviously increase in the case of malignant tumor. The decrease of AAT and AAG indicates that the qigong therapy is very significant in the control, alleviation, improvement and rehabilitation of diseases.
2. Qi that is often quoted in Chinese qigong therapy refers to the vital energy in traditional Chinese medicine. It is the motive power of human life. It may change the metabolism in the body, accelerate cell generation, activate the vital energy in the body, and obtain a cure of the disease. The changes of the specific protein reported in this article indicates that the regulation of sugar protein and mucoglobulin due to the qigong therapy is beneficial to the alleviation of diseases.
3. The anti-tumor mechanism of the human body is mainly performed by the immune function of the cells. Therefore, LAI and ANAE were specifically studied in this article. It indicated a decline of LAI and increase of ANAE after the qigong therapy. This explains that the qigong therapy performs a two-way immune regulation according to the different steps of immune disorder, in addition to regulation of the contents of specific protein in the body and controlling the abrupt changes of cells. At the same time, it helps prove that through stimulating the human conscious initiative, the qigong therapy does adjust yin and yang, qi and blood in the body, strengthen the anti-pathogenic qi, dispel pathogenic factors, improve the patient's constitution, and bring the disease under control. This is virtually the key point for the extension of life expectancy of patients.